Ormidhia
Back ] Next ]

 

Up
Cyprus - Ormidhia

The Ormideia is a settlement in southeast Cyprus, near Larnaca. It has a population of about 5,000 residents.  Bordered by Xylotymbou, Achna, Xylofagou, Avgorou and Dhekelia, SBA. The village took its name from the bays of the coasts. The village is located in a valley. 

The Church of St. Constantine in Alamanou and Saints Cosmas and Damian (the Unmercenary) is located approximately in the center of the village. There were two small churches built in 1901 on the place of the present church. There was also a chapel where Saint Alamanos lived, and holy water was running there. The Saints are celebrated on July 1. 

In 2011 there were two primary schools in Ormideia. The first primary is on a hill and was built in 1935. The Second is also built on a hill, but was built in 1991. When students finish their elementary school they attend the Provincial Gymnasium of Xylotymbou. 

In the community there are also supermarkets, pharmacies, kiosks, bookstore, hospital, post office, cafes, banks etc. 1)

Overview of the exclave of Ormidhia. The visited part of the enclave is marked.

Overview of the border marker positions in the exclave. (Numbers given in order for identification in this article.)

O-1: The visited area at Ormidhia's enclave/exclave was in its the southeastern part. The border marker was found inside the fence of a private property. The marker was of a Republican Cypriot type.

O-2: A small part of the southeastern corner of this house is located in the UK, while the main part is located in Cypros.

O-2: Close-up of the marker which is made from concrete.

O-2: Photographed in southern direction of O-1. The bus is standing in the UK. 

O-3: Further east, after the boundary line run through two residential houses, we found a third type of border marker made from cement.

O-3: Further east, after the boundary line run through two residential houses, we found a third type of border marker made from cement.

Divided house: Photographed from O-3 in direction O-2. The house is behind the trees.

Divided house in Georgiou Seferi Street between O-2 and O-3.

O-3: Photo taken from O-3 in direction of O-4.

O-4: About 30 metres north of the last marker the boundary is turning towards east, but here there was no clear sign of any marker. 

Sources
1. Translation of article in Greek Wikipedia (January 2012).

The page was first time published on 06/01/12. This page was last time updated 22/01/12 .