After the 1808-1809
war between Sweden and Russia the border of the Torne River was moved.
In October 1809 Treaty of Hamina was ratified in Petersburg. Due to the late season, the boundary
correction was moved to the next year.
marker no. 1 was erected in the northern part of Kilpisjärvi near the
Norwegian and Swedish boundary marker. Along the river were erected on both sides of the border a total of 67 border
markers which were built of stone or wood with a serial number and respective regents initials.
On the most important merkers were also the country's coat of arms.
At Tornio the border
left the river's main stream and the boundary commissioners decided in 1823 to mark the border exactly on the
terrain route from Fluurinsaari to according to the 1810 treaty. It was decided that
the Näränperä wood-built marker no. 63 would be replaced with a new
stone marker. When the Governor General Zakrevski visited Tornio in 1827 he gave the order to provide the
marker with the national coat of arms. The present marker is made from Vyborg granite
and was made in 1880.
gained independence the Russian empire's symbols was removed. The marker
was moved to the Tornio museum and was furnished with Finnish coat of
arms. On the stone was carved "to the border" and the number of meters,
which at the 1956-57
demarcation was cut off.
border marker was renovated and was in 1992 provided with this text by
the City of Tornio in front of the 75th Finnish Independence Anniversary.