same markers photographed from the other side and towards north. The
country name sign is of a European Union model.
Lithuanian and Latvian pre-war (between
1927 and 1940) border crossing at the village of Vegeriai (Vegeriai municipality.).
This photo is taken from about the same point and in the same direction
as the previous picture. To a raised barrier pose four
uniformed men, possibly customs officials, and two children. Behind them we see a wooden border
bridge ending where the second barrier is raised. At both bridge ends
there is a solid wooden border crossing pole with painted spiral ribbons in national colours
around it. Further on are the
building fragments of The White Tavern (Latvian: Baltais krogs)
which maybe also served as a Latvian customs office
1. © Šiauliai Ausros Museum.
same persons as on the previous photo at the Latvian customs. The tall
pole appears to be a symbol of the Latvian Customs. Photographed at the tavern
© Šiauliai Ausros Museum.
marker 0677 photographed from marker 0678 towards west. The Lithuanian road marking
exceeds the boundary line with about 20 cm.
marker LTLV-0677 with indirect marker LV-0676 in the background on Latvian
side. The borderline runs in the middle of the river.
marker 0676 has only Latvian insignia.
marker 0678 photographed towards east. The boundary leaves the river and
runs in the middle of the channel along the forest edge.
Lithuania cargo vehicles and buses must pay road tax.
120 m inside Lithuania we found remains of the old passport control booth
and a boom barrier used until 21 Dec 2007.
from the check-point and towards the border.
Latvian side we found this modern EU sign. The three Baltic countries
became members of the European Union on 1 May 2004.
former Latvian border station. To left, about where the road turns, we
observed ruins of the former tavern, hidden between the trees.
station building from the facade side.
dot marks the crossing point.
of the crossing point.
Latvian LGIA border
map of the same area.