La Cure Maps
Back ]



Jan S. Krogh's Geosite: La Cure Maps (CH-FR)

Over time, the border between Switzerland and France moved many times. The situation became complicated in the 1850s. France and Switzerland then decided to normalize relations between the Valley of Dappes and the Vallée de Joux. The Treaty of Dappes was signed on 8 December 1862 for the purpose to adjust the boundary. It was finally ratified by Switzerland on 20 February 1863.  The strategic route through Vallée des Dappes, long a source of irritation between the two states, was ceded to France in exchange for a like area immediately to the north.

In 1862 while the centre of La Cure still was French, a 25 year old man, Mr Ponthus (1837-1895) after learning about the reconstruction of the boundary which was going to divide the town of La Cure in one French part and another Swiss part, very quickly constructed a three-floor building straight on what should be the new boundary.  According to the Treaty already existing houses at the moment of ratification should not be affected, and Mr Ponthus finished the works well before the ratification.  On the Swiss side he opened a grocery shop and on the French side a bar. After his death his two sons, Alphonse and Raymond Ponthus got into economical difficulties, and in 1921 they sold their two buildings to Mr Jules-Jean Arbez, the grandfather of the present owners. Mr Arbez turned the property into a successful hotel and restaurant business.

Treaty map sketch: Grey-green line is the old boundary, and red line is the new boundary.

Map sketch showing which areas were swapped between the two countries. Switzerland got 704 hectares, while France was returned 703 ha.

Swiss map sketch showing the positions of the Le Cure boundary markers.

Sources and external linksé_des_Dappes

This page was last time updated 22/05/13 .